BOSTON — The latest twist in Brazil’s murder mystery may not have been related to a murder investigation, but the case has prompted a national investigation into how the country’s government keeps its citizens safe.
Authorities in the state of Goias are investigating the death of a Brazilian man who disappeared in December 2010.
He was last seen leaving a bar in the town of Campechimoca, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Rio de Janeiro, and authorities have not said whether he was a suspect in the killing of his ex-girlfriend, Cristina Fernández da Silva.
But Fernángez da Silva told Brazilian television in April that the couple had been arguing before she left for a date.
The case has generated a flood of new questions in Brazil, a country known for its violent drug and political corruption.
A federal investigation found no evidence Fernántez da S. Silva was the person killed in Campecimoca.
Her ex-husband, Roberto, has not been charged in the case.
Authorities said on Monday that the death was the result of foul play and that it would be difficult to identify Fernáncedez daSilva because of her advanced age.
The death, however, has prompted the Brazilian government to look into how authorities keep its citizens secure and secure against potential threats, said Daniela Guimarães, spokeswoman for the state prosecutor’s office in Goias.
The case has been widely covered in Brazil as the country struggles with a violent drug epidemic that has claimed more than 700 lives in the past five years.
Authorities have not ruled out the possibility that the suspect may have been involved in a drug trafficking ring or that he was involved in an attempted robbery that led to the death.
But they have not confirmed whether the death occurred in Rio de Paulo, the city where Fernáns da Silva grew up.
A new wave of violence and the arrest of top leaders of Brazil’s ruling Workers Party, the Workers’ Party (PT), has shaken Brazil’s fragile democracy.